Tuesday, January 02, 2007

When I came to work today and went into the break room to get something, I saw a box on the table, and inside that box was a very appetizing-looking doughnut. I know that most doughnuts look appetizing, but it seemed like exactly the kind of doughnut that I suddenly decided I wanted (what a coincidence!)

I only glanced at it, because I was in the break room for something else, and I wasn't consciously thinking about the doughnut. And then I left the break room, free from the temptation - but the seed was planted.

A little later, I had a mental list of three things I needed from the break room. I went in and got two of them, then caught sight of the doughnut. Very hurriedly, my subconscious longing became conscious and I immediatelly quelled it. "No Amber, that is not your doughnut" I said severely, but the warning faded into my subconscious and soon I forgot that I had spoken.

I think I managed to leave the break room (but remember, I still had one more thing to get that I'd forgotten). I went back to work. I couldn't concentrate. I didn't realize it was because of the doughnut, because my longings, while stronger than ever, had subsided into my subconscious again.

The rest is a blur. As far as I can remember, I suddenly got up in the middle of what I was doing, marched into the break room, and was halfway through the doughnut before I realized that I was eating someone else's doughnut. Shame and laughter struck me at the same time.

I didn't find out whose doughnut that was - yet. But I decided to work up a good excuse, just in case anyone was upset about it. The first excuse that came to mind: "I had to eat your doughnut because I needed it." Not plausible, but absolutely true. I'm hormonal. I went home, took a nap until 8 pm, and ate a box of chocolate.

There are more reasonable excuses: "You left a doughnut, unmarked, on the break room table. That means it's up for grabs. It could be sitting there all week, taking up space. Maybe it was there all the week before. Anyway, I did everybody a favor by eating it (especially me! Mmmm...)

Just so you know, it was really, really good. It tasted like it looked. You know how sometimes you see something that looks good and you bite into it and it has banana filling or something gross like that? Well, this did not have banana filling, or anything gross. It was good. Glazed, but not too glazed. Greasy, but not drenched. Sugary, but not enough to see the grains.

I've posted three times in a row, haha. Rebecca, post!

1 comment:

becca said...

you just called me rebecca.

weird.

hahaha.