Sunday, October 22, 2006

Another survey-er called a few minutes ago (at 7:00 on a Sunday night! Goodness, have they no shame?!) He said he needed to talk to the male registered voter of the household (sexist!). I said "Dad, are you the male registered voter of the household?" Dad said "Tell them we're not interested." I said, "Sorry, but he says we're not interested." The guy laughed and said "I heard. You guys have a great night."

It would probably kill me to be that nice to strangers for an extended period of time, especially if they mostly rejected me. At Subway, I could always tell when I could make an extra sale. I'd be like "want some cookies? We just made them" or "you know, instead of a foot long and a six inch, you can get any two foot longs for $9.99". I was always amazed how such an offer (coupled with my charming smile) was often accepted.

At work we're going to have a potluck and dress-up day on Halloween. Of course, I'm going to be a gypsy again. At this very moment I am in costume similar to what I was last year, heavy eye makeup and all. This time I have my ears pierced so I have real hoop earrings. I need a cooler-looking shirt though. I got a nice one but it doesn't fit me very well.

Here's a pet peeve about shirts. I don't know what size I am. Because some "small" shirts are very big on me. The obvious solution is to say "ha! I'm just skinnier than the average small size" but that's not true, because some "smalls" are skin-tight and the bottom of the shirt ends at my belly button.

I can't immediately think of an obvious solution to this problem. Usually I just hold up a few different sizes and pick the one I think looks best.

Also, there's the whole women and juniors thing. I get so confused. When I'm in Wal Mart looking for an item of clothing, I'm always embarrassed if I suddenly realize I'm in the women's section, or in the "plus size" section, and every piece of clothing I look at is way too big for me. I worry that some "plus size" woman will see me and think that I think I'm fat.

Usually I pretend like I'm looking for something for my mom in these circumstances. Now, my mom is far from fat, but the people around me don't know that. And actually, it probably doesn't make much difference whether I'm looking for clothes for myself or my mom - do you ever watch people clothes shopping that closely?

But if I ever find myself on the wrong side of the store and I'm completely clueless and a stranger walks up to me and says "do you realize you're tying men's ties around your head and pretending they are bandanas?" I'll just say "Oh, I'm just trying to find a good one for - my husband. Er, dad. Pirate night. Yeah."

Snicker.

1 comment:

Joshua said...

Haha! Surveying is a tough job.

I don't know if I'd worry about whether people were looking at what I was looking at when I was shopping for clothes or not. I hardly ever go clothes shopping if I can possibly avoid it (the loafers I wear are six or seven years old and falling apart at this point; I wear them in all weather, except when I'm shoveling snow. Then I wear boots. Often my mom comes home from garage sales and Wal-Mart and places with shirts for me because she's so tired of what I wear every single day).

That was a long parenthetical.

Two examples of those deals: I was sent to Dunkin' Donuts to buy a bag of their ground coffee beans for my uncle, who was going to be visiting a week. Half a pound cost something like 7 or 8 dollars, and the lady told me (after I came back a second time after going back home to get more money, because what I had been given wasn't enough!) that oh, incidentally, I could get two half a pound bags for something like $10 or $11. Not really worth it when he was only going to be there for a week, so of course I didn't get it... but... I can see how the temptation to "save" money would make you spring for something like that.

On the extreme end, there's guitar strings at a certain local music store. You can pay $11 for a pack of them or $11 for two packs of them. So I walked up to the counter and asked for a pack of such-and-such, and they said, are you sure you wouldn't like two packs? I was like, um, okay, sure. But it would be nice if I could have only spent $5 or $6 on a pack instead, like I believe other music stores allow. Although, I probably could use extra strings by now anyway. (I think I've had the ones that I've got now on my guitar for about two years.)

How in the world did I end up rambling so much?